Download Word document

A guide to services

Here in Blackburn with Darwen we have a wide range of healthcare professionals.

See below which professional is best to help you. 


Many illnesses can be treated in your home by using over the counter medicine from your Pharmacist and getting plenty of rest. Self-care is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses and injuries.

If you are still worried contact NHS 111 or your GP.

NHS 111

NHS 111 is the service which makes it easier for you to access local health services. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. If you need urgent healthcare, you should call NHS 111 before you go to any other service. By calling NHS 111 you will be directed straightaway to the local service that can help you best. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

When should I call NHS 111?


Local Chemists or Pharmacists have knowledge of most everyday health issues.

They can suggest the best medicine to help.

There are often Chemists in supermarkets and many are open late.

Visit where you can find the service locator that will help you find the Pharmacist nearest to you.

Doctor or GP

You will need to register with a GP - to find a GP in your area, use the NHS Choices Find Services System at:  Your GP can advise, give medicines and information on other services. You will need to make an appointment but most GPs will see a baby quite quickly if you are worried. After 6.30pm weekdays, at weekends and public holidays most services are covered by the NHS 111 service.

Health Visitor

The Health Visitor takes over your care from your Midwife.

The Health Visitor is there to support you and your family. They are there to support you when you need them. They will visit you at home or see you in a clinic and can offer information and advice and can tell you where to get extra help if you need it. They are part of a team of Nurses and Nursery Nurses who are there to support you during the early years.

Accident & Emergency (A&E)

For immediate, life-threatening emergencies, please call 999.

A&E and 999 are emergency services that should only be used when babies and children are badly injured or show symptoms of critical illness such as choking, chest pain, blacking out, or blood loss.

Minor Injuries Unit

There are Minor Injuries Units in Blackburn with Darwen. Urgent Care Centres are located at Burnley General Hospital or Royal Blackburn Hospital.

Barbara Castle Way Health Centre
Simmons' Street
Blackburn BB2 1AX
01254 617400
Monday-Friday 8.30am-6.00pm

Darwen Health Centre
James Street West
Darwen BB3 1PY
01254 617400
Monday-Friday 8.30am-6.00pm