NHS Blackburn with Darwen CCG

Just another Sites site

Flood advice

Flood advice

If you wish to report a flood incident, or have concerns your property may be immediately at risk of flooding please contact the Extended Floodline Service on 0845 988 1188.

If there is an immediate risk to life or you or someone else is trapped by floodwater please call the emergency services on 999.  During widespread flooding the fire and rescue service will be very busy and will prioritise its attendance to emergencies where there is a risk to life.  If you or anyone else are trapped by floodwater or your home is severely affected, call 999 and you will be rescued.

Additional help, such as sandbags, may be available from your district council.  You can access their website below:


Please check with the council to find out what their policy is and how you can get access to sandbags before flooding starts. You can buy unfilled sandbags and a supply of sand from most DIY stores or builders merchants. In an emergency you can use alternatives such as pillow cases or refuse sacks and fill them with garden soil.

You can find out more about sandbags and how to use them for flood protection from the Environment Agency.

Flooding from Main River or Coastal Waters

For the latest forecast and flood warnings, information and advice on protecting your home and what to do in the event of flooding.

Flooding from sewers or burst water mains – contact your water provider

Flood alerts and warnings

You can access more information about flood warnings in the North West here

 How to prepare for and deal with flooding

You can find advice about preparing for a flood, what to do during a flood and dealing with the effects of flooding from the Environment Agency and the National Flood Forum.

You can download Public Health England’s Advice to the Public here: Public Health England -flood_leaflet_2015_final

You can download the Government’s advice on safely cleaning up after a flood here: Flooding_how_to_clean_up_your_house_safely