As part of Self Care week pharmacies across Lancashire are celebrating their accreditation as Healthy Living Pharmacies. Fifty-nine of Lancashire’s community pharmacies have achieved this award which means that patients who visit those pharmacies can now benefit from healthy living support and advice over the counter, rather than attending their GP practice or other NHS services.
Linda Bracewell, Chair of Lancashire Pharmacy professional network, and owner of Baxenden Pharmacy, Accrington said:
“It’s a phenomenal achievement that in Lancashire 59 Pharmacies have now been accredited as Healthy Living Pharmacies. At a celebration event on Thursday evening we learned that in the last year accredited Healthy Living pharmacies and those on the journey to become accredited have initiated over 10,000 healthy living conversations with members of the public across Lancashire.
These are conversations which have encouraged patients to self-care, and take control of their lives. They are conversations where pharmacists and their staff are listening to patients and offering support and advice, or indeed, signposting them to the right source of information or support. These conversations help patients look after themselves, and rely less on visiting the GP or other NHS services. So often such visits are unnecessary and time consuming when it is easier to have a private conversation with a pharmacist. There are so many ways that your local pharmacy can help you to look after yourself.”
The 10,000 conversations provide evidence for this. 82% of queries were managed entirely within the pharmacy with no need for referral to the GP or other services outside the pharmacy. In only 32% of cases was a product sold while 84% received advice. Customers may also have received a suitable leaflet or been signposted to a trustworthy online website.
In Lancashire over 248 pharmacy staff are now accredited to the Royal Society of Public Health Level 2 Health Champion Standard and are trained to support patients with health advice. All staff in Healthy Living Pharmacies have completed brief intervention training to provide support and advice to patients. One hundred and thirty three pharmacist or pharmacy manager Healthy Living Pharmacy leaders now work in community pharmacies across Lancashire.
Healthy Living Pharmacies carry out Medicines Use Reviews (MURs) and a New Medicines Service (NMS), which support patients in the management of the prescriptions and medicines, making sure that prescribed medicines are used correctly, and avoiding waste or misuse through misunderstanding. In addition, the Healthy Living Pharmacies are pro-active in delivering brief interventions such as stop smoking, as well as signposting patients and carers to other sources of expertise such as dementia advice, alcohol advice and cancer screening awareness.
Mr Irfan Tariq, Chair of the Lancashire Local Pharmacy Committee said: “The passion and commitment that pharmacists and their teams have shown towards becoming Healthy Living Pharmacies across Lancashire is absolutely wonderful. Fifty nine pharmacies are now formally accredited to offer healthy living advice and support to patients. This is a fabulous way to support patients to self care and keep themselves well and healthy throughout their lives and is another way that Pharmacy as a profession is supporting patients and the NHS to manage demand. I am very proud of our Healthy Living Pharmacies and congratulate them all for their achievement in receiving the Lancashire Healthy Living Pharmacy accreditation.”
Mr Tariq added: “Your local pharmacy is a good first contact point for advice on many common health concerns. While most people will go first to their pharmacy for medicines advice, many don’t know about the range of other healthcare services provided by pharmacies on their doorstep and the level of expertise there. Pharmacists are available without appointment and are able to deal with a wide range of ailments, as well as offering uniquely accessible advice on maintaining and improving your health.”
For more information about self care and self care week: http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/Yourhealth/Pages/self-care-week-2015.aspx
The accredited Healthy Living Pharmacies are:
Blackburn with Darwen
- Asda Lower Audley Retail Park Grimshaw Park Rd Blackburn BB2 3DT
- Cohens 33 Preston Old Rd Blackburn Blackburn BB2 2ST
- Geloo I New Wellington St Mill Hill Blackburn Blackburn BB2 4DY
- Karims 140, Mosley St Blackburn Blackburn BB2 3RX
- Whalley Range 1 Whalley Range Blackburn Blackburn BB1 6DX
- Witton Pharmacy 108 Redlam Blackburn BB2 1UW
- Accrington Pharmacy 257 Whalley Rd Accrington Hyndburn BB5 5AD
- Barkerhouse Pharmacy 102 Barkerhouse Road Nelson Pendle BB9 9EU
- Baxenden Pharmacy 516 Manchester Rd Accrington Hyndburn BB5 2RG
- Cohens 240, Union Rd Oswaldtwistle Hyndburn BB5 3JD
- Cohens (Eccles Chemist) 67/69 Union Rd Oswaldtwistle Hyndburn BB5 3EG
- Colne HC Pharmacy St Johns Road off Craddock Road Colne BB8 0LX
- Colne Rd Pharmacy Colne Rd Colne Pendle BB10 1LG
- Huncoat Pharmacy 20 Station Road Huncoat BB5 6LS
- Langho Pharmacy 1a East ViewTerrace, Whalley Rd, Langho Blackburn BB6 8BX
- Leedams 71-73 Keighley Rd Colne Pendle BB8 OQF
- Nelson H/C Pharmacy Yarnspinners H/C Carr Road Nelson BB9 7SR
- Peter Buckley 34 King St Clitheroe Ribble Valley BB7 2EU
- Rowlands 198, Briercliffe Rd Burnley Burnley BB10 2NZ
- Rowlands 7, Albert Rd Colne Colne Pendle BB8 0RY
- Whitworths 39, Victoria Rd Earby Pendle BB18 6UN
- Whitworths 21 Rainhall Rd Barnoldswick Pendle BB18 5AF
- Whitworths 96 Every St Nelson Pendle BB9 7LS