Blackburn with Darwen has become the first Borough to have the Council and Clinical Commissioning Group sign a joint healthy weight declaration.
Locally around 75,000 adults are overweight or obese. One in 10 reception children and one in 5 Year Six children in BwD are obese.
The Declaration has been designed by North West based Food Active to support local government to exercise their responsibility in developing and implementing policies which promote healthy weight.
Along with the 14 generic commitments that all Council’s pledge to deliver, the local commitments include:
- promoting active travel with the launch of the Weavers Wheel,
- supporting the Daily Mile and food policies for Primary Schools,
- food and physical activity policies and support for early years settings,
- creation of a Food Alliance for BwD to address food poverty and food sustainability
- working towards BwD’s designation as a Breastfeeding Friendly Borough and a Sugar Smart Borough.
Work on the commitments has already begun with a number of partners and is the first achievement of the Eat Well Move More Shape Up strategy which was launched in April this year.
More information on the strategy can be seen here http://www.blackburn.gov.uk/Pages/Eat-Well-Shape-Up-Move-More-Strategy.aspx
Click here to see the signed declaration Healthy Weight Declaration Blackburn Final (pdf | 1.3 MiB)